Monday, July 14, 2008

Pump Up the Jam... er, I mean, Milk...

Today was Daddy May's first day back at work since my birth. I missed him a whole lot all day, but I got to spend time with him once he got back home. Plus we still had my bedtime routine together as a family, with one big change (I'll come back to that in a minute!).

Mommy May is still on summer break from her job as a teacher; she goes back to work the 3rd week of August. So we have just over a month left before Nani starts watching me during the week. With time dwindling down, Mommy May decided to start learning how to pump her milk and teaching me to drink out of a bottle. That way, being apart all day will be a little easier on both of us, at least in terms of feeding!

On the advice of my pediatrician, as well as Mommy May's mommy friends, they bought the Medela Pump in Style Backpack. You can see a picture here:

It looks like a regular black backpack, until you open it up and pull out what's inside... am I the only one who thinks these look a bit like instruments of torture? Well, that or strange horns:

Out of respect for Mommy May's dignity (and to keep this blog family friendly!), I will not post pictures of Mommy May hooked up to her little machine. She did say, however, that it makes her feel a bit like a dairy cow. Here you can see my reaction the first time I saw Mommy May getting pumped:

Personally, I wasn't sure how much I would like drinking from a bottle. I really like spending my feedings bonding with Mommy May; it's our special time. But, after trying it, I have to say the bottle's not too bad! Plus, I get to do feedings with Daddy May now, too. And, in the end, what I want is the milk, however I have to get it! Here I am, feeding with Mommy May (Daddy May was reading me my bedtime story):


Yes, that's a cloth diaper wrapped around my neck. I'm still a novice with this bottle-drinking phenomenon, so I tend to be a bit sloppy.

2 comments:

Katie said...

He's so beautiful, Tania! I'm sorry I've been slack in calling; I'll try to catch you soon...

Katie said...

PS Can you please send me your address, Evan? Thank you!