Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Temper, Temper...

I got angry today, for the first time... though we all know it won't be the last! Mommy May and I had some miscommunication about my dinner; she thought I was still hungry and wanted to keep eating, even though I kept trying to tell her I was full. Finally, I lost my patience and really started to wail. I think Mommy and Daddy May were a bit shocked, as we've already established that I am generally pretty easy-going. Let's keep things in perspective, however, as I still only cried for a few minutes. Luckily, Mommy and Daddy May had watched a video (recommended by Lila's mommy) with tips on how to calm babies:
It is some truly remarkable stuff! One second, I was flailing my arms and yelling and crying, and, next thing I know, Mommy May had me swaddled and turned on my side... I instantly went quiet and limp and returned to my normal self. Even I was amazed! We all had a cuddle, then we proceeded with our nightly ritual of my bath, then story time, then bed.

The video (there's a book, too, which Daddy May read before I was born) talks about the 5 S's: Swaddle, Suck, Side, Shush, and Swing. Used in combination, these can help a baby calm down instantly. I know both of my grandmas were a bit skeptical about how well this would work; I was a little leary of it myself, until I experienced it firsthand... I tell you, it works!

Here's a photo of me sleeping like a baby... a baby burrito, that is, in my swaddler!


On another note, I'm not sure if it came through in any of my earlier pictures, but has anyone else noticed that I seem to be channeling Don King's hairdo? Check out this close-up:



I swear that we aren't styling my hair that way; Mommy May hasn't broken out the styling gel or anything. My hair is just stick straight and naturally stands up. Go figure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend "The Happiest Baby on the Block". That method really does work! Regarding the hair, I like it. Spikes are good, we just have to make sure it doesn't get too long. But don't worry, Daddy's got 3 different shavers to make sure it doesn't get too long in the back.

Things I May Regret Writing said...

Sorry Daddy May, but that child's father is clearly Derek Zoolander.

-Lillian

P.S. I'm so glad all the books and videos we recommended are working for you!

Unknown said...

bpwyrpxEvan,
My daughters love your hair and they think you are one of the most adorable babies they have seen in a long time. Don't change the hair we love it:)
Janet